16 June 2014
1. China Customs will enforce the 24 hour Advance Manifest Rule for vessels
arriving Shanghai ports from 28 June 2014 onwards.
2. Under the new rule (Chinese Customs Ruling Number 172), all ocean carriers
are required to submit a complete cargo manifest of shipments electronically to
Shanghai Customs, no later than 24 hours prior cargo loading at foreign port.
3. Initially, this regulation is applicable to all cargo imported or transshipped on
container ships calling Shanghai port direct. Eventually, all cargo bound for China
will be subject to the 24 hour advance manifest rule.
RCL Manifest cut-off time
1. In order for RCL to comply with this new rule, we respectfully request our
customers to provide complete and correct shipping instructions / BL draft, no
later than 48 hrs prior to the vessel ETA at each Load Port.
2. This earlier timeline will enable RCL at each load port to work with RCL
Shanghai Manifest Agent as the intermediary with Shanghai Customs to meet
the 24 hour deadline rule.
3. RCL strictly adopts a No Document / No Load policy for shipments where
shipping instructions / BL draft are not submitted by the required timeline.
China Customs Inspection
1. As part of security risk assessment, the cargo manifest information submitted
will be screened and China Customs will advise carriers whether or not the cargo
can be allowed into China.
2. RCL will not load any shipment if the manifest filing is rejected by Chinese
customs. Under such circumstance, cargo will be shut out from loading and all
associated charges and costs will be borne by the shipper.
Advance Manifest Surcharge (AMS) Fee
1. For vessel arriving Shanghai 28th June 2014 onwards, an Advance Manifest
Surcharge fee of USD 30 per BL will be applicable for every BL filed.
2. For amendment to BL after submission, an Advance Manifest Amendment
Surcharge fee of USD 40 per amendment per BL is applicable.
China Customs website
1. As you can appreciate, this new regulation will have a huge impact on the way
we handle our documentation & operations for shipments bound for China, hence
we seek your understanding and compliance in meeting China Customs
2. Should you have any inquiries relating to this regulation, please feel free to
contact our customer service representatives at your location.
3. Once again we thank our customers for your valuable support and look
forward to your continuous patronage.